Statement about Coronavirus

Published by Riri on

The Unicon team has received questions regarding concern whether Coronavirus will affect Unicon 2020 and we can understand your question for sure. So here is our official statement as answer to your questions:

The IUF Board and Unicon 2020 organizers encourage all unicyclists to continue to prepare for Unicon 2020. Unicon is almost 5 months away, and we cannot make assumptions about cancellations at this point. The IUF Board and Unicon 2020 organizers will continue to monitor the situation and follow guidelines from the World Health Organization (WHO) and the French government. 

At this time, we ask all athletes and participants to use caution and protect their health. The Olympic Committee has published this information in coordination with WHO for athletes worldwide on…/coronavirus-outbreak-advice-for-…/

So don’t miss to register now, soon registration will enter the third stage. So safe your money.

See you in France then soon!

Categories: Information


George Carra · 12 March 2020 at 12 h 53 min

Hello. The news that has been coming through is that the Hamburg Marathon, in Germany, has been postponed. This is an international event. No events with more than 1000 people will be held in the whole of Germany. That’s quite something! Please update weather Unicon will be going ahead. An airline, here in Australia, called Quantes, has cancelled many flights , 25% in fact. This is making it difficult to travel to Europe. I understand this is not an easy decision. Thank you, George, Australia.

    Unicon 20 · 14 March 2020 at 12 h 02 min

    The statement stands for now. We will keep monitoring the situation, but Unicon is still 4 months away.

Team monominchia · 14 March 2020 at 8 h 33 min

Hi all, we are a team from Italy, none of us has registered yet, because we are already struggling with normal life.
Italy is considered very high risk, we cannot go out our houses if not primarily necessary, like buying food.
Most of us are not working, because everything is shut down.
Training is often not an option, we can’t reach muni spots for example, because police would stop us, with bad consequences.
We know it’s hard to imagine, if you are not in the same restrictions and dangers.
People who’s not working and hence have a compromised economic situation, is not sure whether it’s worth risking to give money for the registration (plus flight and all), and not having a refund in case things don’t get sorted soon enough.
We hope the organisation can understand the delicate situation and revise at least the dates of the third stage to give us more breath.
Thanks for your attention

    Davide Riffaldi · 14 March 2020 at 10 h 52 min

    I would like to clarify that it is not only Italy that is experiencing a high risk situation. The risk is high all over the world, except that in Italy we have blocked everything out of a sense of responsibility

    Unicon 20 · 14 March 2020 at 12 h 04 min

    The situation is very special. We have thus decided to postpone the second deadline. It is now set to the 5th of april. We keep monitoring the situation.

Davide Riffaldi · 14 March 2020 at 10 h 34 min

I am Italian and I am experiencing a situation that I never imagined. I have already completed the registration and paid in mid-December, with all the intentions of coming to UNICON. A few days ago I sent you an email to find out how you will manage any refunds … Your answer was
. At this point I ask you the question again: If you cancel the event, how will you manage the refunds? thank you

Unicon 20 · 14 March 2020 at 12 h 08 min

Hi Davide,

The refund policy stands if someone asks to cancel his registration, while the event keeps going. However, if we are forced to cancel, or postpone, we will do our best to refund everyone who wants to. Of course, it depends when that happens, in what conditions, etc. The situation is very complex for us too, as organisers. We are trying to have as much information as we can. So far, Unicon is still on.

Davide Riffaldi · 14 March 2020 at 15 h 51 min

ok, thanks, … and good luck to each of us.

Chris Peng · 18 March 2020 at 3 h 04 min


I understand that Unicon is still on, however on our side, our government have a statement that all school groups are banned to go abroad until the end of August. Also our flight to France, which transfer at Dubai , is suspended until further notice.So we are definitely can’t participate in the competition.
I would like to know how you will manage our refunds basic on this situation?

François · 18 March 2020 at 18 h 12 min

Hi Chris,

We understand your situation, and the situation is complex and hard to grasp for everyone (especially us…). Please give us a few days to answer and communicate.

Thank you,

François for the Unicon 20 team.

Alberto Ruiz · 24 March 2020 at 3 h 48 min

I organized U4 and presided the IUF several years. I know you have some difficult decisions and we should respect them.
I strongly suggest that you postpone U20 until Summer 2021. I know you have competitors, sponsors, volunteers and others to worry about, but you will have a better UNICON in 2021.
There are precedents. U5 was postponed from 1990 to 1991. U6 was held in 1992 as scheduled.
Many competitors travel from all over the world and may not be able to schedule flights or may not get government permission on time.
Alberto Ruiz
Puerto Rico

Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

fr_FRFrançais de_DEDeutsch ja日本語 es_ESEspañol it_ITItaliano ko_KR한국어 en_USEnglish